Financial Solutions for Divorce is owned by Darlys S. Harmon-Vaught, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA™), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Master in Financial Forensics (MAFF) and Court-Approved Mediator in Jefferson County, Kentucky, Family Courts. Based in Louisville, Kentucky, Financial Solutions for Divorce has been providing divorce financial analysis, fraud and forensic examination and mediation services to divorcing couples and individuals since 2002.
We are dedicated to helping clients maximize their settlement outcomes by providing thorough and objective divorce financial analysis. We specialize in high net worth divorce cases with complex tax implications as well as divorce cases that may require financial fraud detection and forensic analysis.
Financial Solutions for Divorce provides fee-based consultation and analysis, therefore our advice and recommendations do not affect our compensation. All of our clients are provided with a written retainer agreement, fee schedule and a consultation as to the case-specific services required. Because we do not provide any financial products or planning services, clients can rest assured that there will be no conflict of interest.
Darlys Harmon-Vaught Professional Bio
CDFA, CFE, MAFF, CTS
Dr. Darlys S. Harmon-Vaught, owner of Financial Solutions for Divorce, has been providing divorce financial analysis, forensic and fraud examination and mediation services since 2002. Her advanced training and certification is complemented by over 30 years of experience in the financial industry.
Darlys is among the few financial professionals in the country to possess her specific set of advanced certifications and training specific to divorce financial analysis, fraud and forensic examination and mediation services and include:
- CDFA-Certified Divorce Financial Analyst
- CFE-Certified Fraud Examiner
- MAFF-Master in Analysis of Financial Forensics
- CTS-Certified Tax Specialist
- Mediation Training
- Advanced Interdisciplinary Team Collaborative Training
- Advanced Collaborative Divorce Practice and Practice Development
- Advanced Collaborative Divorce Training
- Interdisciplinary Team Collaborative Training
- Collaborative Law Training
Financial Expertise & Career Background
Along with Darlys’ acquired expertise as a CDFA ™, CFE, MAFF and CTS, her experience includes more than 30 years in the field of financial advising and planning.
- Owner, Divorce Financial Analyst
Financial Solutions for Divorce (2007-present)
- Senior Vice President, Wealth Management
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Brokerage Services (2000 – 2007)
- Senior Vice President, Investments
Hilliard Lyons Brokerage Services (1986 – 2000)
- Institute for Divorce Financial Analysis (IDFA)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Institute for Business and Finance (IBF)
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- Doctorate in Education, Ed. D. University of Louisville 1986
- Educational Specialist, Ed. S. University of Louisville 1980
- Bachelor’s in Education, B.S. Georgetown College 1974
Achievements and Recognition
- Named “Outstanding Broker” by Registered Representative Magazine
- Named “Who’s Who in Accounting & Finance” by Business First of Louisville
- Published in the Louisville Courier-Journal
- Published in Bar Briefs (a Louisville Bar Association Publication)
- Published on Certified Divorce Financial Practitioner international website
- Interviewed on WDRB Television News on Financial Segment “It’s Your Money”
- Interviewed on WHAS Radio News
- Woman’s Club of Louisville –Former Member; Former Finance Council Member; Former Investment Committee
- Chairperson; Former Editor-in-Chief of The Bulletin
- The Fillies, Inc. – Former member
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi – Life Member
- Fund for Women – Former Finance Committee Chairperson
- City of Hurstbourne, KY – Former Finance Committee Member
- Girl Scouts of Kentucky – Former Member, Board of Directors
- American Red Cross – Former Member, Board of Directors; Former Finance Committee Member
- St. Matthews Baptist Church – Former Finance Committee Chairperson; Current Member
- Sigma Kappa Social Sorority – Life Member
Publications, Seminars and Presentations
- “Help Divorced Clients Start a New Financial Life.” horsesmouth-website for financial advisors. 2 July, 2008.
- “Techniques for Discovering Hidden Assets and Unreported Income During the Divorce Process.” Bar Briefs. Summer Edition, 2009. Louisville Bar Association. Louisville, KY.
- “Facilitating Resolution of Complex Financial Issues in Divorce.” Bar Briefs, 2010, Louisville Bar Association, Louisville, KY.
- “Unique Financial Challenges When Divorcing after Fifty (Lecture).” The Woman’s Club of Louisville, Louisville, KY. 21 March, 2011.
- “Remember the Alimony (Panel Discussion).” Woman’s Advisor Forum. The Princeton Club. New York, NY. 28 April, 2011.
- “Unique Financial Challenges When Divorcing after Fifty (Lecture).” Louisville Bar Association. Louisville, KY. 9 June, 2011.
- “The Financial Decision Making Process in Divorce Cases (Seminar).” The Nuts and Bolts of Family Law Series. Louisville Bar Association. Louisville, KY. 23 June, 2011.
- “Preparing a Budget During a Divorce” (Article) Simple Divorce Advice-website. 27 June, 2011.
- “Rise in ‘Gray Divorces’ Points to Needed Ministry.” Quoted in article. Western Recorder. July 26, 2011.
- “Playing ‘Hide and Seek’ With Assets in Divorce Cases.” (Article) Women Advisor Forum. 1 August, 2011. www.womenadvisorforum.ning.com.
- “Understanding Financial Decision Making in Divorce.” (Presentation) Kentucky Collaborative Family Network (KCFN). August 9, 2011.
- “Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) and Divorce.” (Article) Women Advisor Forum. 1 September, 2011. www.womenadvisorforum.ning.com.
- “Divorce: Taxing Marital Assets.” (Article) horsesmouth-website for financial advisors. 9 September, 2011
- “Remember the Alimony (Panel Discussion).” Woman’s Advisor Forum. The Colonnade Hotel, Boston, MA, 12 October, 2011
- “Women in Transition.” Panel discussion with Ameriprise, Fox Hollow, Louisville, KY, 13 October, 2011
- “CPA Continuing Education Event. Sponsored by UBS Financial Services, Churchill Downs, Louisville, KY 3 November, 2011.
- “Understanding the Financial Decision Making Process in Marriage-Using Behavioral Financial Analysis.” 22, February, 2013. Presented at the Kentucky Association for Marriage and Family Therapist (KAMFT) at the 2013 State Convention.
- “Financial Issues in Divorce.” Presented to First Kentucky Trust, Louisville, KY, 3 March, 2013.
- “Considering Divorce? Five Financial Steps You Need to Take Now.” Published in LinkedIn, 12 January, 2016
- “What Happens to the Marital Home in Divorce?” Published in LinkedIn, 2 February, 2016
- “Are You Over 50 and Contemplating Divorce?” Published in LinkedIn, 5 March, 2016
- “Divorce Over 50-Five Costly Financial Mistakes to Avoid.” Published on LinkedIn, 7 March, 2016
- “What is Divorce Mediation Marathon and How Does It Work?” Published on LinkedIn, 8 March, 2016
- “When Divorce Mediation WON’T Work.” Published in LinkedIn, 10 March, 2016
- “Pet Custody in Divorce-7 Things to Consider in Negotiating Pet Custody Arrangements.” Published on LinkedIn, 11 March, 2016
- “How to Keep Your Pets Happy After Your Divorce.” Published on LinkedIn, 12 March, 2016
- “9 Financial Things I Wish I Knew Before I Divorced.” Published on LinkedIn, 14 March, 2016
- “3 Ways to Discover Hidden Assets During the Divorce Process.” Published on LinkedIn, 3 November, 2016
- “What Financial Decisions Do You Need to Make During Your Divorce Process.” Published on LinkedIn, 16 November, 2016.
- “Playing Seek and Find With Assets in Divorce Cases.” Published on LinkedIn, 14 December, 2016.